When you prepare your meals either for yourself or your family members, coconut oil is always a wise choice. Evidence show that coconut oil has a number of health benefits.
- Weight loss: Coconut oil is high in medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs), which may help with weight loss. Some studies have shown that MCTs can increase energy expenditure and boost metabolism.
- Heart health: Coconut oil contains a type of saturated fat called lauric acid, which may help to improve cholesterol levels and reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Skin and hair care: Coconut oil is often used as a natural skin moisturizer and hair conditioner. It may help to reduce the appearance of wrinkles, improve the health of the scalp, and prevent hair breakage.
- Oral health: Coconut oil has antimicrobial properties and may be useful for preventing the growth of certain bacteria that can cause bad breath, tooth decay, and gum disease.
- Diabetes: Some research suggests that coconut oil may help to improve insulin sensitivity and reduce blood sugar levels in people with diabetes.
- Seizure: People have long used keto diets to treat various disorders, including drug-resistant epilepsy. They have been shown to help reduce how often seizures happen. Recently, people have found they can effectively treat epilepsy by following modified keto diets that include MCTs (found in coconut oil) and a more generous carb allowance to induce ketosis.
- Alzheimer: Some researchers have found that ketones can offset early signs of mild to moderate Alzheimer’s disease by providing an alternative energy source for brain cells. For this reason, coconut oil has been investigated for its potential role in managing Alzheimer’s disease.